Monday, January 17, 2011

European Road Trip Top 10

Driving across Europe... in an old, red BMW with the windows rolled down.  Yes, that is what I did at the end of summer.  Sometimes, when life presents itself with an opportunity (such as this) my advice is to roll with it.  I'm always up for an adventure and love to travel.  My favorite type of travel is with locals in the region where I can live with them and truly experience the culture.  So, when friends from Europe invited me to join an all out road-trip... I had to say yes!  It was an amazing experience; one I will never forget.  We drove from the middle of Europe all the way to Athens, Greece.  It was hot.  It was amazing.  It was FUN!
When taking a road-trip across Europe here is my Top 10 List:
10 - Music is essential - create a fun playlist
9 - Water, water, water - hydrate and even pour it over your head if it's as hot as 40C in Greece... yeah, thought I was in the first phase of hell it was so hot.
8 - Only choose to road-trip with fun, laid-back people... there is nothing worse than an uptight traveler in a car :)
7 - Maps, can't go without them
6 - Have your camera ready because something amazing will be waiting around the corner
5 - Pack as much of your own healthy food as possible - gas station food is not good for the body
4 - Have your passport ready... boarder crossings = new passport stamps!!!
3 - Have a plan but be willing to go with the flow
2 - Laugh a lot.  Have fun, be silly, who cares what hour it is, what you look like... enjoy the journey.
1 - If at all possible have AC in your car... we did not and I'm lucky to still be alive today from the almost heat stroke in 40C+ temps.  Oy vey, Oy vey!
Thank you friends for such a lovely time getting lost all over Europe.  I loved it and would do it all over again... to wonderful memories and amazing sites.  

No comments:

Post a Comment